News & Notes
- Stay Tuned for our Next Innovator Seminar Series: Session 3 - Position Your Research for Translational Funding ... View More
- Emory Startup Velocity Medical Solutions is Excited to Announce an Acquisition by Varian Medical Systems ... View More
- Emory Startup AKESOgen and VA Million Veteran Program Collaborate to Genotype 105,000 Veterans ... View More
- AstraZeneca Puts Partnering Program Online: More Than 46 Compounds Available, Submit Proposal ... View More
- The 8th Annual Celebration of Technology & Innovation a Success, Read Our Blog for a Recap ... View More
- Emory Licensee Baxter Submits BLA For Approval Of OBI-1 For Patients With Acquired Hemophilia A ... View More
- Two Emory Technologies are Finalist for 2nd Annual Atlanta Magazine Groundbreaker Awards ... View More
- Emory Technology Featured by medGadget, an Online Journal of the Latest Medical Gadgets, Technologies, and Discoveries. ... View More
- Emory Start-up Velocity Choosen as One of Four Finalist for 2013 Intel Innovation Awards ... View More
- Emory start-up Neurotrack Raises Series A for its Alzheimer’s Disease Behavioral Biomarker ... View More
- Emory Technology Included in Varian's Edge Radiosurgery Suite ... View More
B-RST Genetics Referral Screening Tool
Cecelia Bellcross, PhD
When Angelina Jolie announced that she had a preventive double mastectomy in May 2013, BRCA1 became a hot topic among the general public.
According to the National Cancer Institute, BRCA1 and BRCA2 are genes that produce tumor-suppressing proteins, which help repair damaged DNA. Mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2 (BRCA1/2) make cells more likely to undergo changes that can lead to cancer, particularly of the breast and ovary. Individuals who inherit a mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene are therefore at substantially increased risk to develop these malignancies.
To help individuals determine whether they are at increased risk for having a mutation in one of these genes, Assistant Professor in the Emory Department of Human Genetics Cecelia Bellcross developed the B-RST genetics referral screening tool.